Sunday, July 17, 2016

Lots of blue...

I've been stitching a lot with blue the past week or so.  First I was working on some log cabin type blocks from my blue scrap bin:

and when I got tired of piecing those, I finally got around to finishing up an Evelyn tote (Swoon Patterns) that I cut out and started on weeks ago:

The lining is a bit saggy, but as my kiddo said, who's going to see it?  The lining was a complete "make do" moment, I had nothing picked out for it and had nothing in my stash of all one piece that would work, so I just pieced something together from the remnants of the exterior and a bit of Flea Market Fancy I had in my stash.

Friday, July 8, 2016

and done...

with the quilt top that is.  Here is my Lap of Luxe quilt in Mustang by Melody Miller:

it was such a quick sew!  (Just ignore that center area that looks really wrinkled, that'll be pressed out before it gets quilted.)  I used a few different solids for the background, mostly Kona Ash and Bella Smoke, I like that the different shades break up the pattern a bit and look less "flat."  So on to the stack this one goes!  Guess I better find another weekend project!

Heat is on...

Well, summer has officially taken up residence, in all her 100+ degree glory.  It's predicted to be well over 100 degrees today (up to 110 with heat index), so I think I'll stay inside and sew.  Last weekend, after finishing up my Star and Stripes quilt top, I pulled out my Cotton+Steel Mustang Fat Quarter Bundle that I've had for a few years and got to cutting:

and then did some stitching and trimming:

and now I'll take that stack of HSTs and turn it into a quilt top ala the Lap of Luxe quilt pattern.  So there you go...that's my plan and I'm going to try to stick to it.  Happy Friday!

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Stars and Stripes with Aqua

Well, I've got a finished Stars and Stripes quilt top!

This entire top was pieced straight out of my fabric stash.  Because I did not purchase anything specifically for this quilt, I did not have enough of the aqua solid that I used for the sashing of the blocks.  Fortunately I had another aqua print in my stash, that was close enough in color to be used for the borders.  I figure once it's quilted and washed up...I'll be the only one that will ever notice it's not an exact match.  I also plan to shop my stash for the backing, so for now, this one will go on  the "to be quilted" pile until I get the back figured out.

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Stitching for the 4th

Yesterday while at work I was getting a powerful urge to stitch something.  I wanted a quick project, looking for that immediate gratification.  So last night as I was looking through quilt patterns, I remembered the lovely Stars and Stripes quilt by Camille Roskelley.  Into the cart the pattern went:

and then I was immediately up in the sewing room pulling fabrics:

and then set to cutting and stitching.  Total last night was maybe 3 hours, add an additional hour this morning (estimates here) and I had 15 flag blocks ready to go:

This is such a great pattern!  Quick to put together, big visual impact...I've started piecing the top together and should have that done before too long!  So now the goal is get it finished so it can be in use on the 4th!