Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Wellness Wednesday...Ep. 5

Welcome back to Wellness Wednesday...in today's episode, I revisit last week's half marathon training plan, take a look at this week's, and talk about my current running shoes.

Last week's plan and what I actually did in red:
  • Wednesday: Rest Rest
  • Thursday: 3-4 mile run 3.25 miles on treadmill (could be closer to 3.5, depends on whether I use my foot pod or the treadmill for distance)
  • Friday: 2-3 mile run 3.77 miles - should have made it shorter...my legs DO NOT like running two days in a row
  • Saturday: rest Rest
  • Sunday: 9-10 mile run 9.7 mile run - was great until about mile 7 and then it felt like my legs were encased in concrete and I slowed down significantly.  Plus my GPS is all hosed up (thinks yesterday was last wednesday, so I'm very thankfully I run a backup GPS) and logged my miles wrong.
  • Monday: yoga for runners Rest
  • Tuesday: 3-4 mile run Rest
definitely far from perfect but in general feeling much better about where my training is at!  The long run was pretty good, and the weather was probably very similar to what conditions will be race day.  I'm hoping this week's long run goes as well or better...and considering it will be my last run above 6 miles before the half marathon...well, my confidence could take a major hit!  Anyways...here is my plan for this week:
  • Wednesday: 3-4 mile run
  • Thursday: 30 mins bike
  • Friday: 3-4 mile run
  • Saturday: rest, maybe a little yoga for runners
  • Sunday: 11-12 miles
  • Monday: Yoga for runners
  • Tuesday: 3 mile run
and now...running shoes.  I'm having a few issues with my current shoes.  When I first started running a year ago, it was in a pair of Saucony's that I had picked up at some cheapo shoe store and was "ok" for the most part.  When I got "serious" about running, I actually went to Fleet Feet and got appropriately fitted for a pair.  I went through many shoes until I tried on a pair that just plain felt great...the Nike Vomero 7.  I loved them.   Unfortunately I let them age a bit too much and the cushioning was pretty shot by the time I finished up my first half marathon last September.  So I went back to Fleet Feet and got a new pair.  Nike had released a "newer model" in between and when I first tried on the Vomero 8, I was pretty happy...so I bought them.  There are days I regret that decision and days I don't.  The Vomero 8 took close to 50 miles to break-in, so my early runs weren't the most comfortable.  But I stuck it out...and miles 50-150 were pretty good.  And then I started to notice that they just don't feel as nice (I have about 180 miles on them).  The fit feels a little bit off, the toe box feels too small at times, I'm just not loving them right now.  HOWEVER...I refuse to replace them this close to a race.  I don't want to try and break-in a new pair right now, and the Vomero 8's are actually not that bad.  Something just feels a bit "off" before and after running (I must state that I have ZERO issues while running in them).  So my plan is to head back to Fleet Feet after my half marathon and talk to them about the issues I am having and see if I can't find another make/model that just feels better.  (I feel very Goldilocks and the Three Bears here...I want it "just right").  I'll let you know how that goes! 

I must note that I purchased all shoes mentioned above myself.  No shoes have every been provided to me, and no one has ever asked for my opinion on them or to share an opinion on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to comment!