Saturday, May 19, 2012

a well loved work in progress

so a few weeks (perhaps longer) ago I decided I wanted to attempt a T-shirt quilt...and thanks to this fab tutorial...I was able to at least start...at about 5 this morning...my sleep schedule is a bit off these days...

I wasn't entirely sure with what T-shirts I wanted to start...until one day I was talking about maybe using some of our old University of Texas shirts to make a quilt...and Girl popped up and said...oh I have a bunch of those...and she ran up to her room and grabbed a bunch of hangers...with the CUTEST little T-shirts on them...all of them were hers...from back in the day when she was a much shorter little one...As I looked at each shirt she "donated" for the cause...well...I was feeling a tad bit emotional...she once was that small!  and my...how she has grown since then...sniff...so I knew immediately that this particular quilt would be special...simply because of the memories...so I pulled what Texas Longhorn related stuff I had in my stash and set out to get going...


and after a bit of trimming...and a few moments where my throat closed up and I remembered my Girl when she was about 5 years old...I ended up with this...


and then after adding some Pellon Featherweight I ended up with this...


enough for 9 total blocks...(still working on the final block sizing).  I'm currently trying to figure out what size I want the blocks to be in the end...and what size borders I'll need for each block...and if I'll have enough of any one fabric to do anything completely cohesive...but in the end...I know it won't matter...this quilt is too special to be worried about the little things...

1 comment:

  1. What fun!! I have a few of these that I need to make but my youngest won't give up her shirts yet!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to comment!